Thursday, April 9, 2009

Times of Change - Message from WAVLI President

TIMES OF CHANGE

Hi Members, by the time you read this it's possibly after the April AGM which was our Election AGM, so maybe I am no longer the President (today is March 1st, so hard to predict!). Either way, I'm either grateful for the experiences I've had over the last two years of my term and wish all the best to the new President, or, if I'm still President, I'm looking forward to many new and exciting things over the duration of my next term.

We've all heard the familiar saying that "change is hard" but I feel that the next few years will bring some significant welcomed changes with our organization. At this point the 2007-2009 board has made some progress on the work with title protection, we've also revamped the website, designed new directories, new membership cards and had well over 10 professional development opportunities bringing in presenters from various locations as well as continuing to learn from our own local talent. We've had the first curriculum Deaf Interpreter training modules and had some great activity from some of our committees, specifically the K-12 Educational Committee that works in partnership with CAEDHH and hopefully we'll see some exciting change within the specialization of educational interpreting over the next few years.

I wanted to take an opportunity to say a heartfelt THANK YOU to all the board members who have served with me over the past two years and all the members who took the time to connect with me and offer their feedback and suggestions to make WAVLI a stronger organization.

Here's looking forward to lots of change over the next term as well!

Susi Bolender
President